Thursday, June 7, 2012

Both welcome and unwelcome arrivals

Today when I went to the garden to hover over my crop, I found that the peas, some of the beans, carrots, a cucumber and sunflowers have started to poke up through the dirt.
Hello Mr. Bean
I also found that something has been feasting on the eggplants. Look at that picture below, there's an eggplant leaf on the ground.  Grrrr pesky something.  I think that something is a Colorado Potato Beetle.  I am going to go back and look closely at the rest of the plants and destroy any beetles and eggs I find.  I have heard that I can use this safely, but before I do anything hasty, I'm going to ask about in my plant biology class.  Yes, I'm going to be that guy.







OK- I asked. The recommended method for controlling the Colorado Potato Beetle is to squash them and scrape off the eggs.  Maybe spray with Bt.

No comments:

Post a Comment